Dry Eye Syndrome (DES) is becoming more prevalent and problematic with increased usage of devices, contact lens wear, etc. This chronic disease is multifactorial where the patient is not producing enough tears and/or the tears that are produced are evaporating too quickly. We are pleased to announce that Associates in Family Eyecare is a dry eye clinic; we have the latest testing and treatment to effectively manage your dry eyes.
Causes and Symptoms
Causes of Dry Eyes
- The environment
- Contact lenses
- Technological devices
- Autoimmune diseases
Symptoms of Dry Eyes
- Burning or stinging of the eye
- Scratchy or gritty feeling as if something is in the eye
- Redness of the eye
- Heavy eyelids
- Excess tearing (watery eyes)
- Uncomfortable contact lenses
- Fluctuations in vision
- Decreased tolerance of any activity requiring sustained visual attention
Dry Eye Testing
- TearLab takes a sample of your tears and measures the saltiness of them, which is your tear osmolarity. The osmolarity increases when you have dry eyes, specifically the ocular surface cells becoming damaged.
- TearLab can be performed multiple times to properly track the treatment of your condition.
- InflammaDry detects if levels of MMP-9 are elevated, which are inflammatory biomarkers. Patients should not have inflammation in their tears; if this test is positive it is consistent with that of patients with dry eyes.
Treatment and Management Options
There are many treatment options for dry eyes depending on the severity of your condition. Our doctors are well versed in artificial tears, prescription eye drops, punctal plugs, autologous serum, fish oil pills, Prokera, Mibo ThermoFlo, and more.
- Fish Oil Pills
- Dry Eye Omega is a superior omega-3 product to safely and effectively address dry eye problems. The Dry Eye Omega is in a purified form to allow for the best absorption without the fishy aftertaste of store bought brands.
- Learn more at PRN: Physician Recommended Nutriceuticals
- Order your Dry Eye Omega today
- Prokera is a cryopreserved amniotic membrane used to heal corneal problems, treat dry eyes, and even regenerate corneal nerves by preventing scar formation and decreasing inflammation. It is a simple procedure that is easily inserted and removed in office.
- In a recent patient surgery, 93% of patients with dry eyes said they felt better after a treatment with Prokera.
- Mibo ThermoFlo
- The Mibo ThermoFlo is a device that delivers concentrated heat to meibomian glands on the eyelids to help preserve the function of the evaporative portion of your tear film. This in office treatment provides over 95% patient satisfaction and with a small series of treatments, patients can experience long lasting dry eye relief.
- For more information, watch the video below.